The Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free life insurance policy search service. If you are trying to find out whether you, or someone you are acting on behalf of, has a life insurance policy, we may be able to assist you.
Please note that this service is for life insurance policies only. Please also note that this service is dependent upon receiving responses to the search from relevant Financial Ombudsman Service members, who are not obliged to provide this service but do so as a courtesy. Accordingly, we are normally unable to provide an estimated time frame to complete the policy search. We will however contact you as soon as the search has been completed.
If you are searching for a general insurance policy, the Financial Ombudsman Service recommends that you contact the Insurance Council of Australia on 1300 728 228 or at www.insurancecouncil.com.au.
What you need to do to activate a search:
In order for us to complete a life insurance policy search for you, please follow the steps below.
- Complete a Request for Policy Search Form
- Provide copies of any supporting documentation confirming authority to request the search. If you have appropriate authority to request the search, we will then contact all life insurance companies which are members of the Financial Ombudsman Service and request that they search their records.
- Send your completed Policy Search form by either:
- Financial Ombudsman Service (Registration Team), GPO Box 3, MELBOURNE VIC 3001
- Fax to (03) 9613 6399
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require any assistance, please call us on 1300 780 808* and ask to speak with a Registration Officer.
*9am to 5pm AEST. Calls will be charged for the cost of a local call from landlines. Calls from mobile phones will be charged at the applicable rate from your carrier.