FOS participates in a broad range of public events across the country each year to raise awareness of what we do.
Upcoming events in 2018 where you will find FOS as an exhibitor:
- Sydney Homeless Connect, NSW – 3 July
- National Association of Community Legal Centres Conference, NSW – 28-30 August
- Financial Counsellors’ Association of NSW Conference, NSW – 17-19 September
- Financial & Consumer Rights Council Conference, VIC – 17-19 October
- Financial Counsellors’ Association of WA Conference, WA – 29 Oct – 1 Nov
- Australian Council of Social Service Conference, NSW – 29-30 October
- South Australian Financial Counsellors’ Association Conference, SA – 13-14 November
Invite FOS to your community event by contacting the Community Outreach Officer on (03) 9099 2209 or via email at [email protected].
The dispute resolution service FOS provides is a free and accessible alternative to going to court. Although people do not need any sort of legal or other representation to come to us, we recognise that some may prefer to have help lodging their dispute or to have someone acting on their behalf during the dispute resolution process.
Consumer advocates, including financial counsellors, legal aid and community lawyers, serve a vital role by providing free, community-based financial counselling, legal aid and casework assistance to people experiencing money problems.
We work closely with these organisations to ensure that our service meets the needs of their clients.
Consumer Liaison Group
One of the ways we do this is by convening the FOS Consumer Liaison Group (CLG). The CLG is made up of consumer advocates from across Australia who meet with us throughout the year to:
- identify opportunities to make our service more effective, accessible and user-friendly
- increase and improve engagement between FOS and the community sector
- promote understanding of the financial problems experienced by people in vulnerable communities.
Postcards and profiles
In 2016-17, consumer advocates from 168 community organisations helped people to lodge 586 disputes with FOS, and collectively they also referred another 2000 people to our service. We value the enormous contribution of consumer advocates across the country.
Visit our postcards and profile page to read some of their stories.