Download the final report (PDF 437KB) – Pack combining the 2017-2018 FOS Comparative Tables and Explanatory Notes for each table
What are the Comparative Tables?
The Comparative Tables present disputes statistics about financial services providers (FSPs) that are members of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). The tables give three types of information about each FSP listed:
- Chance of a Dispute Coming to FOS
- Average Length in Resolution
- Outcomes of the Resolution Process.
The glossary entries on these three terms explain in detail what they mean and how we calculated them.
Consumers can find out how likely other consumers were to bring a dispute to FOS about a particular product from a particular FSP. They can also see information on the outcomes of disputes involving particular FSPs. The data might assist a consumer when they are deciding which FSP to acquire a product from.
Financial services providers can compare their disputes performance to that of other FOS members, which will help them to set targets for their businesses and direct their resources into the right areas. This should help them to build their complaints handling systems and broader customer service programs, ultimately strengthening their relationships with their customers.
There are four supporting documents to help you understand and interpret the Comparative Tables:
- Explanatory notes (PDF 216KB) – Special considerations regarding particular tables and particular financial services providers.
- Glossary (PDF 299KB) – Definitions of all the key terms used in the tables
- How to interpret the tables (PDF 319KB) – An example of a table with notes on what we can learn about the financial services providers listed in it
- Frequently asked questions (PDF 240KB) – Answers to the questions you are likely to have as you view and interpret the tables
Links to these documents are also provided in the tables.