Skip to content

The FOS Approach to Calculating Loss in Financial Advice

Financial advice can help consumers make decisions about their money. Consumers may consult a financial adviser for help on how to make and achieve financial goals, and for guidance on making investments.

The types of financial services providers (FSPs) that provide financial advice include financial planners, stockbrokers and advisers employed by banks, superannuation trustees and managed funds.

This document sets out how we identify loss in financial advice disputes, and the way we work out how much compensation we may award.